Wisdom teeth, the third molar at the back of the mouth, have evolved as a kind of “spare teeth” to help fill in gaps from teeth that might have been lost before adulthood. These extra teeth are not needed anymore, with today’s dentistry, and they can often cause pain and other problems when they erupt. About 5 million people in the United States must have their wisdom teeth extracted each year in the United States. Common symptoms include:
- Pain From Wisdom Teeth: Individuals have four wisdom teeth, two on the top and two on the bottom, which erupt between the ages of 17 and 25, and sometimes cause pain in the mouth or jaw. The discomfort can come on gradually or suddenly. The pain can be dull and lingering or sharp. When looking in the mouth, you may notice the gum is red and inflamed. We at Austin Cosmetic Dentistry Toothbar can get to the source of the problem, along with other services, such as Invisalign downtown Austin.
- Swelling of the Jaw: Jaw discomfort from erupting wisdom teeth is a common problem, which can be resolved with professional care from your cosmetic dentist downtown Austin, TX. The dentist will take x-rays of the area to determine if impaction of the teeth or infection has occurred.
- Swollen or Bleeding Gums: You may also experience swelling of the gums or bleeding of the gums at the back of the mouth. This is generally accompanied by gum sensitivity. Your cosmetic dentist downtown Austin TX can help.
- Bad Breath or Unpleasant Taste in the Mouth: You may also notice other unusual symptoms that indicate all is not well with your dental health. You may suddenly notice an unpleasant taste in the mouth, or someone may mention you need a breath mint. These are signs that your teeth should be examined by an experienced dentist at the Toothbar.
- Problems Opening the Mouth Normally: The erupting wisdom teeth can also cause difficulty opening the mouth normally, because of the pressure of the teeth, as well as swelling in the gums and supporting tissue. This effect can be a disturbing one that your cosmetic dentist downtown Austin TX can relieve.
Problems with wisdom teeth are a common problem that your dentist can resolve with professional, effective techniques. If you are experiencing symptoms of impacted wisdom teeth, make an appointment today with the Toothbar, Austin Cosmetic Dentistry, for experienced dental care and provider of Invisalign downtown Austin, who can help you get back to comfort and oral health.