5 Dangerous Dental Fads You Should Avoid
- Brushing with charcoal. Charcoal seems to be popping up everywhere—cosmetics, hair products, and toothpaste all promise to beautify and improve your look with this natural substance. Consider steering clear of charcoal-containing toothpaste, however, as it has not been approved by the American Dental Association. Non-activated charcoal is especially dangerous, as it is poisonous. Activated charcoal may seem like it’s whitening your teeth if used for a short time, but it can wear away enamel and actually make teeth appear more yellow.
- Hydrogen peroxide. In looking at ingredient labels on mouthwashes and toothpaste, you’ll see that many products already contain hydrogen peroxide. If these products are ADA-approved, they are safe to use. Hydrogen peroxide should never be used on its own, however, as it can cause burns and damage to teeth and other soft tissues in the mouth.
- Using lemon juice and baking soda. The combination of lemon juice and baking soda used together is a powerful whitening agent. While they do whiten, they can also strip teeth of enamel, making your soft tissues underneath prone to disease and decay. Lemon juice is very acidic, while baking soda is quite abrasive and damaging when applied to teeth. If you do want to whiten, switch to a dentist-approved toothpaste with safer, less abrasive whitening agents.
- Oil pulling. Oil pulling is the process of swishing sunflower, sesame, or coconut oil around in your mouth for 15-20 minutes to whiten teeth and freshen breath. This method was used for centuries when other methods of dental care were not available, but now we have more efficient ways of cleansing and protecting teeth from decay. There is really no scientific evidence to back up the practice of oil pulling, and it should never be used as a replacement for regular brushing and flossing your teeth.
- Extreme dieting. Who doesn’t want to lose a few pounds quickly? Today’s trend of extreme juice cleanses is a very sheik way to drop a few kilos, but the acidic nature of juice can cling to teeth and cause damage and erosion to the enamel. In addition, juice cleanses do not provide valuable nutrients like calcium, vitamin B12, and other vitamins and minerals that can help safeguard your teeth. It’s best to stick with a diet of fresh, whole foods, organic produce, and whole grains as part of a plan for total health and wellness.
Many of us go to great lengths to improve the look and the health of our smile. Some of us may even go a little bit too far, and although some of these “fads” can produce temporary results, over time they can actually wear away enamel and cause damage to your teeth.
Why is enamel so important?
Tooth enamel plays a critical role in protecting and maintaining your teeth. Enamel protects the softer inner layers of teeth from food and drink residue that can cling to teeth and cause erosion.
The Enamel is not a living substance, so it cannot regenerate itself. Once it has been damaged and worn away, you are now more vulnerable to tooth sensitivity and degeneration of soft tissues underneath. To protect your teeth and prevent enamel from eroding away, avoid the dental fads.
Dental health tips….drop the fads!
There really is no substitute for regular oral care practice at home and at the dentist. Regular brushing and flossing trips to the dentist, and proactive care are the best strategies for uncovering your best and brightest smile. Commit to developing these healthy habits, and you can’t help but smile about your oral health!
Austin Cosmetic Dentistry If you find yourself in need of a smile makeover, Austin Cosmetic Dentistry can help to restore both the strength and look of your smile without all of the potential damage that can occur from trying these fads. Looking for a cosmetic dentist downtown Austin Tx is simple and effective; whether your needs are for Invisalign downtown Austin or other types of dental preservation and restoration, we can help you get back on track to premium dental health.
At Invisalign Downton Austin, your brightest and best smile will be uncovered by our consummate professionals–we employ the best cosmetic dentist downtown Austin Tx to help you reveal optimal oral health for you and your entire family. Rather than trying the latest fads, consider making your next dental appointment with our talented professionals today!